Friday, February 08, 2008

Change of scenery

Today I had a change of working scenery and spent some time at a local University teaching student nurses. This is not a full change of job but just a couple of extra hours over and above my full time job.

I had to run a workstation teaching the students how to give injections. In my day we learnt how to give injections by practising on oranges. Oh how times have changes now they have these great manikins with injectable skin and everything. It really reminded me of when I did my first injection 10 years ago. I was so excited, it felt like real nursing being able to give an injection. Do you tell the patient it is your first or not? I go for letting the patient know afterwards or else the thought of the needle will be even worse than normal.
Now it is second nature and a daily occurrence. One student was shaking with fear so much I worries she would jab herself drawing up the solution and that is with a dummy, what will it be like for her in placement.

I had fun, it is a nice little earner for extra cash - next time NG feeding tubes.

No comments: