Monday, November 05, 2007

Book Review: The Kite Runner

What an absolutely amazing book. This is the first book in a long time to really get my emotions going. It is just so gripping and so gut wrenching. At times it is certainly not pleasant to read but blows any other book out of the water.

The story of two boys living in Afghanistan who are friends but from very different back grounds. One very well to do with a good upbringing and the other the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set in the time of the fall of Afghanistan with mass exodus and Taliban rule. The main character after ending up in America is forced to return to Afghanistan to clear up a long lived guilt. It is very well written and whatever I read next will have a hard act to follow. Must read his next book - on the Christmas list me thinks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Heather I also enjoyed this book when my son bought it for me at Xmas about three years ago. BBC Radio 4 gave a reading of "A Thousand Splendid Suns" as their book at bedtime. It sounded like a good book as well.

Unknown said...

Thank you for lending it to me Heather. It was a great read.